Saturday, October 13, 2007

Have you heard? It's fall!

Okay, so after rewatching Anastasia the other day I've gotten the music stuck in my head again. It's amazing how I remember the lyrics to all the songs in the movie even though I haven't watched it for years. I think it was probably around 1997...cause the Winter Olympics happened in '98 in Nagano and that's when Tara Lipinski used the song, Once Upon A December, which I called dibs and swore was going to be my competition (olympic) song (not that I would've gotten that far but I still called dibs) and was completely shocked when I saw her skate to it in her long program, won gold over Michelle Kwan using my song, and have loathed her ever since. Then there were mere copy cats of skaters using that song for their program and so it just lost its luster.

But anyways, FALL!!!!! As my friends saw, I actually dressed up in my cute lil black boots, jeans, t-shirt, and this nice dark green jacket with an orange scarf and a hat to symbolize the changing of fall. Maybe not symbolize, but that was the extent to my excitement about the change in seasons. Fall was always one of my favorite seasons, even though my birthday is in the spring, so they've both been happily celebrated by me haha. I'm such a child sometimes for being so easily affected by the weather, but when its sunny and cool out, and there's this smell of burning wood in the air, there's this excitement within thinking things are not the same.

Fall is the time of change, rather than sense that it is something dying and old, I always felt it was a start of something new. School always started in the fall, and so that's always a fresh way to start.

I was in China last fall, where by this time, I made some great friends, especially one that meant as much to me as two of my best friends that I met in Japan.

2002 Japan...By this time of the month, I celebrated the o-mochitsuki, watching the moon festival and won 2 bottles of wine at a lottery/bingo game dinner with my host family. I met the Rotary group out in Marina City in Wakayama...where 2 of the exchangers soon became my best friends.

I recall this time me, my soon to be 2 best friends, and this other soon to be good Danish friend of ours were asked to join this group of kids going out camping in the traditional Japanese camps out in Sennan city, where they had a soft-opening. We had korean pancake, and sat in one of the empty huts drinking out of a small mixture of gin and oj, ate oreos, and saw some shooting stars. The mountains were beautiful and serene, and later on we went inside to only drink some more beer hanging out with this American guy talking about his life in Japan, and my friend kept on having to pee like crazy. Luckily the bathrooms were quite clean unlike China :)

Later on the next day, we went to watch the movie Signs (omg I can't believe I paid twice to watch that movie), hung out in Sakai after getting some drinks at the convenience store, and I went home late with my friend since she was sleeping over while my host mom worried like crazy and asked me to not watch movies at night anymore.

Next fall, where will I be?? Here I am, in the nation's capital, in my final months of undergraduate schooling. It's been a few weeks since I've felt so worry free the more I have to do. But you know what? It's fall :)

No comments: