Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Meeting Jerks

What compells a person to be a total jerk? Okay, I feel I am quite diplomatic, especially in first meetings. This is the hospitality side in me ingrained from years of waitressing and keeping on that "bubbly" smile, practiced by wandering from country to country, meeting random people at youth hostels.

So at dinner, I meet my friend's friend's good friend and his girlfriend. I don't think I really prejudged him, or judged him at all until 5-6 sentences of dialogue with him. When I told him I was from Jersey, he only bashed the place saying that there's absolutely nothing to do there (Which is true so I agreed), then said how the place had no money and was in debt (which I responded as I did not know but I do know we raised taxes last year), and then went to saying how I was "so asian" because I carried a camera with me everywhere and had taken it out to take pictures with my japanese friends. When I replied that I was used to carrying a camera with me everywhere because I travelled a lot, he just asked if I was a military kid. It's the first time someone assumed such things about me, especially since I'm probably the least "asian" of most asians. So in a way, I was a bit insulted. Heck, even though I'm not a fan of Jersey, I felt someone who has no experience there shouldn't say such things in the first meeting. His girlfriend was fine and all, but I've never met someone so unnecessarily rude without explanation.

Like I'm sure he was trying to play some "cool" figure, acting like an asshole downing soju and smoking ciggerettes. And no, I don't think he was interested in me since he was the same to others too, its just his personality has some issues that need to be worked on.

Then again, I think back to how I tend to be a very scary person when people first meet me at times since I like to take charge of things if there's no leader. But that's a different story.

Guess I just can't win 'em all, can I?

No comments: