Tuesday, February 27, 2007

I am sooooo special~~College Student Narcissism

So on my way to work, I picked up the Express paper, noticing an article on narcissism amongst college students. Ignoring it, I found some better things inside the paper, like my horoscope for the day. However, while at work on my computer, the article pops up again on msn news. So being that it seems like it's calling me to read it, so that is what I did.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17349066/?GT1=9033

“Unfortunately, narcissism can also have very negative consequences for society, including the breakdown of close relationships with others,” he said.
The study asserts that narcissists “are more likely to have romantic relationships that are short-lived, at risk for infidelity, lack emotional warmth, and to exhibit game-playing, dishonesty, and over-controlling and violent behaviors.”

Okay, I don't know who really did this study about college student behaviour, but I don't feel that narcissism with college students and the above quotes should go into an article together. I don't deny above said, but how can this "narcissim" be harmful? Okay, so some people are Over confident, and perhaps some do need a good dose of reality about the cruel world in finding jobs, but honestly, a bit of confidence never hurt anyone. Maybe this is MY NARCISSIST side talking here, but I don't think companies would want to hire someone who is an introvert, and can't make decisions on their own. Confidence is the key to life- and people who at least act like they know what they're doing, people trust them more (as opposed to calling them incompetent).

I'm not saying I support those actions above study stated, but who hasn't acted like that in their own times being a college student? It is the time to explore and have some fun before going out to the real world. Back in the older times, people would establish longer romantic relationships because this was the time they would be popping the question. Heck some people still do that now. As for others, they realized their life became a bit longer, they have more time to find their other half, to do more before having to feed extra mouths and raise a family. Violent behaviors? I say we're all violent in our own way, and that doesn't change through time.

I say this so called Narcissism is a necessity in our society especially at our age when we need to figure out who we are and what we want. Perhaps some are overconfident (I do know a handful) and in time they need a step back from society and have some reflection time. I don't think this article viewed college students in the best of light and I feel it is wrong to just accuse 20-some year olds of being self centered. We are at the time when we're either too young or inexperienced to get a job, or too old to fit into the kid mold. The expectations are high and the qualifications are just not yet good enough.

I believe in falling down and getting back up again in life. Life is about experiences. I'm sorry we're not barbie dolls with the perfect life and find the perfect matching ken doll to go along with our relationship. We make mistakes. And I enjoy knowing I can make those mistakes. We weren't born perfect, and we never will be perfect. The process is learning. We may exhibit those qualities, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it all. So stop judging us and take a reflection at your own life, author.

No comments: