Sunday, May 20, 2007

Back in Beijing

It's been the weirdest feeling to be back in Beijing. As I wandered across the road to the nearest internet, aka Starbucks, my sleepyness almost killed me as cars kept on honking pressing the gas pedal in full speed ahead.

I've been seeing the blue skies in one shape or form for the past few days. It has made me have a reason to believe that I made the right choice this summer to return back to Beijing. It really was a hard decision between China and Harry Potter. And EXTREMELY Difficult situation.

Anyways, the place I'm supposed to be renting for the next 2 months is quite....terrible. I mean, it's actually not a bad place at all if everything functioned properly...like the bathroom light, the hallway light, the kitchen light. Apparently my friends have told the landlord or whoever about it and they are not on top of their game in fixing any of those problems. Though they are quite adjusted to showering in the dark, the first day when they told me that, I felt like I was entering into some shithole which my good friends have called home. I feel like it's a terrible thing to call it as that, but I do like the apartment to be functioning and my roommate thought my friend (ex roommate) had told me and vice versa. I did indeed hear about a "sketchy bathroom", but in no way was it explicitly said that the light hasn't worked in there for the past several months. It didn't help the image of the cleanliness of the place after 5 people preceded to crash at the apartment over the weekend, and they were about to head back to the States, thus had all their luggage with them. Packing, plus pre and post partying at night, it is easy to say the apartment looked like a dump. Dear dear friends which I have no bitterness towards their stay in the apartment, but it does add to the image of the overall cleanliness of the apartment. By the way, did I mention the bathroom light does not work? Yes, I'm slightly bitter on that fact.

Thus, my first roommate discussion was about the rent ordeal and how I felt we were jipped considering how there are so many issues to be fixed at the apartment. Her only qualm was the need for a visa renewal, which requires a residency card, as if she does not get her visa renewed by Monday, she has the possibility of being kicked out of the country. I on the other hand, try to find a cheaper rental location, Chinese friends to help with the contract process, and ways to get everything I want in one shot without getting jipped. Being that my only worry is to make sure I make enough to balance out my debt of going abroad for the summer. It is the first time in a long time when financial issues are an immediate conscious thought. That's one thing about being in China: the constant feeling of being cheated on. I think that would be one automatic resulting in having a bitchy, pushy personality.

No comments: