Monday, May 14, 2007

Me? A Pirate? Arrrgggg!

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/43610153

So there's this issue of music piracy that's been going on for ages...only to have picked up in the "recent" years. LoL, I'm probably going to get some letter from the recording association just saying this because I do live in the good o'le US of A, but I do believe piracy is necessary for the growth of the entertainment industry and the recording industry is just being total pricks about it. Okay, then sue me. That's what America does best. Suing people. We have this thing about being total victims and receiving monetary compensation for being incompetents. It's quite sad that lawyers have commercials on tv...it really makes being a lawyer such a turn off because all they care about is money. Of course, somewhere deep inside their acidly cold heart (caused by the 3 years of law school- and 50+hr work weeks) there are some that have a something besides a brain. Okay enough with legal bashing, as I do have some friends that are lawyer wannabes. But it's all for the money, where's the life? I guess people do sell their souls in for financial benefits, but that's not really my style.

In this case of the music industry trying to stomp out piracy, well I say there's always going to be something illegal in the world. Get over it. I'd say be happy people are listening to classics and even knowing about those ditsy Blondie pop singers. If I had to pay $8 for their song, I might as well form my own band. heck we should all form our own band and swap each other's music. I seriously had this notion of forming this idea of "free music" after reading the article, who needs the in between of record companies cracking down of the freedom of copyrighted sound?

After being in China, there's this thing I learned about personal space. Or the lack of, should I say. We Americans have this love of personal space, I mean, so do I. But that also comes with the fact that we are rich overpowering arses who have the luxury of space. In China, where a good portion of what we consume might as well be labelled fake, they don't. They have plenty of pirated goods because they cannot AFFORD the real thing. If they could not get pirated goods, do you think they would be so knowledgeable about learning more of the American culture? Hence, I think not. Perhaps the record companies lose out on this revenue (which I doubt would ever profit if sold legally in China...maybe 10 years down the line when their middle class incomes can afford American prices) but the American government should be glad that they want to learn more about the American culture via watching pirated copies of Friends or Seinfeld.

Call it informal diplomacy, or even illegal diplomacy. Though claiming to stunt of the profits of the entertainment industry, to obtain monetary compensation from the poorer tiers of society only puts off the growth of the industry itself since the music will no longer be "promoted". Cracking down on the college kids, who already sell blood to afford an education, is really like picking on the weak. Those kids, plenty whom don't even have any assets and are already in debt, would have to further sell an organ to make the entertainment industry feel they are doing justice. Oh wait, or they can ask their mommy and daddy to pay for them. I'm sorry, I pay for my own college and if they sent a letter to me, I'd rip out my kidney and chuck it in their faces. Go sell that in the black market for your settlement you turds. Honestly, I'd be so put off by the crappy American music industry (if not already) I might as well listen to French pop and Latino Reggaeton.

Who needs American pop then? If we want blondies who can't sing but can do it for free, why not bring in some Scandinavians who wanna be famous? We're only supporting the ridiculously rich lives of stars and their plastic surgery. What? American Idol? That's supposed to support the dreams of the unknown? LoL, another scheme to make us watch some lame tv. When I channel surf my friend's Comcast, with well over 300 channels, I can still find it funny that I can't find anything interesting to watch.

Therefore the point of my rant is to give a good cold stare at the music industry and say "Shame on us? Shame on you!" I think there are better things to be disputed and legislated about in Congress and it's quite sad if Congress does try to pass some sort of rule to appease the music industry; then again, with the dire need of cash in our government and the entertainment industry's never-ending income and willingness to "give" and reign over the world, us normal citizens are only play puppets of politics, money, and the drive for power. It's quite pathetic if Congress does take up this lil bicker legislation as it definitely will show who wears the pants in this country, and how low the American government has fallen to.

No comments: