Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Remember those years back in high school??

I was out with my roommate and her buddies last night as one of the guys said we should go to Rumors, a bar in DC, because he knew the owner's son and could probably get us free drinks. I'm more a fan of chill or fancy lounges or a place where we could dance, but who usually passes up the word free drinks?

So the guy sits with us at the table and since he was completely already drunk, he tells us how he knows my roommate's friend (or more like roommate's bf's coworker/friend/roommate). They did football in highschool together. And the guy was a year younger than the friend, who was the captain. Honestly, I could not have imagined the guy doing football, nor being captain due to his arrogant attempts of comedic relief personality. Then the drunken owner's son goes ranting off about how the year after he graduated from college (which sounded like a big accomplishment), all he did was drink, get high, and do coke. Fan~ta~stic.

But I started to look at the people around me, as I realized how we all came from different backgrounds, different places, yet as we are sitting there at that moment and our lives converged, who cared if we did sports in high school? Or a national merit scholar? Or the most popular person in the school? Yet, we allowed a small peek into our past lives, and we learn, hey there was more than 1 football team/"popular crowd"/academic genius out there, so I'm sure there were more of those people out at the bars. Ten years down the line, it would be sad if they were still riding on their high school fame and have not accomplished anything new. So we can talk about it, and it doesn't amount to much, and at the same time, those who linger on such small details of the past, well they definitely need to get over themselves. I'm not saying that the night was sour because of that event, nor anything of that sort, but I'm glad life moves on to greater achievements.

No comments: